i'm chelseakate. my daddy calls me boj. thanks for visiting. enjoy. xoxo.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Ruptured

photo credit: craig

December 10th, 2011. It started off like any other day. I woke up, I was tired, blah, blah, blah... I dinked around for a few hours, keeping in mind I had tithing settlement at 2:30 but should get there around 1:50 because Dani {my best friend} had her appointment then and it never hurts to be with her more...

So I got in my car and I started driving to my church in Provo. I was feeling fine and was excited to see Dani, Craig and our two other friends, Eric and Ryan.

Then it happened.

I was probably two minutes {or so} away from the church when all the sudden the WORST pain I've ever felt pretty much attacked my lower abdomen. I don't know how to explain it, really. Cramps x1,000,000,000... something like that except it was more on the side of my body than the middle.. Annnnnyway..

I've had weird pains shoot through my body before so I just convinced myself it was nothing to worry about and I'd be fine in a few minutes. When I had parked my car and started walking towards the church, I sort of started to figure out this wasn't a normal pain I'd had before and 'a few minutes' wasn't going to heal me. I couldn't stand up straight for the life of me, the pain was constant - it never let up, and I couldn't think clearly. In short, I was in a whole lotta pain.

I let Dani know that I was hurting but wasn't trying to make a huge deal out of it. Wellp, I guess I don't have a good poker face because next thing I know, everyone was asking me what was wrong. I explained my symptoms and my friends were worried, telling me I should go to a doctor. Dani and I went into the bathroom to check it out, you know, see if there was any visible problem. I was kind of bruised but nothing too serious.

I had my interview with my awesome Bishop, then went back into the hall where Craig, Dani, Ryan and Eric were, also. I sat on the floor, trying to roll into a ball without drawing too much attention to myself and staying modest..

Sooo...You know you have a good best friend when she starts reading your mind and is saying the things you are too prideful to say. Dani told the boys I wasn't doing too well and thats when they started really pressuring me to go to the hospital. At first I was fighting it, telling them I'd be fine, but then I caved to the pressure. I was hurting and I wanted to be better...so the hospital seemed like the right place to go. After I received a blessing and some well-wishes, Craig and I were off.

Now I could sit here and bore you with details about my looong visit to the ER with my super sweet boyfriend, but boring blogs aren't fun to read, so I'll try to just gloss over what went down.

I got there and the funny little moments began. Lets just say, Craig now knows allllll about me and my body. They ask a lot of questions there. When was your last period? Was it normal? How much do you weigh? How tall are you? When is your birthday? Are you sexually active? Any chance you're pregnant? Have you had any pain going to the bathroom? Have you noticed blood in your urine, etc, etc. Ah yeah, that was fun... Oh, and I'm pretty sure they asked those same questions like, ten thousand times.

photo credit: craig

I had to give a urine sample, I was hooked up to an IV (scary) and had some blood taken, I had a cat scan, I was given some weird thing through my IV that made me warm and feel weird and made my fingers and toes hurt and gave me this funky metal taste in my mouth, I was poked and pressed, I was given some morphine...which is an excellent drug. I now see why people become addicted to things. I felt great! No pain after that pumped through my veins.

At first, the doctors/nurses had their suspicions that I could have something wrong with my appendix but it was more likely that it was kidney stones. But of course, it would take a while before we'd really be able to know anything.

photo credit: craig

Craig and I did a lot of sitting around and waiting. Like, a lot. Poor Craig. I'm sure this isn't how he wanted to spend his saturday. However, like I've said before, he's the biggest sweetheart ever! He never complained and he was a great distraction from the pain, sitting there next to me, smiling and ready to talk, always asking how he could make me more comfortable, laughing with me when the drugs took over and I became loopy and twitchy, trying to get me to fall asleep, listening to the doctors and nurses because I was too drugged to really pay attention and the list goes on and on. I'm really not sure how in the world I got so lucky to be with this great guy :) Yay.

A few hours later they finally had a diagnosis for me.. "The bad news,"the doctor said, was that I still would hurt. "The good news?" Its nothing serious. Just some ruptured ovarian cysts which are apparently ranked in the top 10 as far as pain goes. (i agree.) He informed me after a few days I should be as good as new and feel great. Whew. Dodged a bullet there, right?

Oh, and just in case I didn't tell everyone there enough times that there was no chance I was pregnant and that I'm not sexually active, they went ahead and took a pregnancy test anyway. It came back negative. Told ya.

craig's doggie and me, nappin' on the couch
photo credit: craig

After our fun little adventure at the ER Craig took me back to his house where I crashed on his couch for hours! I took a few naps, we watched movies, I ate toast, it was good. Craig and his great family took good, good care of me. Like I've said before, I'm one lucky gal. Very, very.

A few hours later, my cute Craig took me home and I slept pretty decently that night... Now here we are two days later and just like my doc said, every day I'm feeling a little better! The Lortab sure helps me feel better, too :) 

2 comments:

  1. We are so happy that you are feeling better AND yes Craig is a real sweetheart!! You are welcome to crash at out house anytime!!!
    Love, Craig's family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..just sayin'..
    Craig has now saved the day TWICE in one week!

    ReplyDelete